Monday, July 25, 2011

Orange orange nails

So this week's nail challenge was "fruit". I originally wanted to do orange with little pulp pieces painted on (a la: herehttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif) but I don't have an artist nail brush yet, and I didn't really know what colors to use for the outlining. So instead I did orange slices. I realized that I only have one color of orange. Which is a little troubling. So this is kinda off-color, but it's fun, and attention-getting.


I painted orange down first (Dior Aloha) and let it dry. Then I cut pieces of tape diagonally and put them down in a ray-like arrangement, with the center point at the top of the nail. I then painted a coat of OPI Alpine Snow, and removed the tape rays. After letting THAT dry, I put on some Frenceh mani tips, a little further back than I would normally put them, and painted a coat of white on the tip. And then when that was completely dry, I put down a French tip closer to the edge, about where you would normally put it, and painted the very tip orange for the outer rind.

This mani was a lot of "firsts" for me. First time using scotch tape for accents, and first time using the French tips. I'll be honest and say that it looks better in the picture than it does in real life. It's a little hard to tell what it's supposed to be if you're just seeing it on the nail. I think it would work better with a lighter color orange, especially on the very tips for the outer rind.

close-up

You can really see in the close-up how the Scotch tape wasn't perfect, and I wasn't as patient as I should have been with the French tips. It was fun to do, not complicated, it just took a while to get it right. I think I'm going to take it off, and just do orange, but it was fun while it lasted!

2 comments: